Monday, May 25, 2009

New Baking Books (Greenspan, Gisslen)

I am currently in L.A. and will be here until May 31st. Thankfully I brought my laptop because I don't know what I would do with my spare time in the evenings without it. Surprisingly, the stores close earlier than expected. Even Wal-Mart here isn't 24 hours like I'm used to closer to home. Today I took advantage of the Border's Books 40% off coupon (Memorial Day Weekend special) and bought 2 new baking books:

1) Baking: From My Home to Yours, Dorie Greenspan

2) Professional Baking, Wayne Gisslen (Le Cordon Bleu)

I have been clinging on to my copy of Dorie's book borrowed from the library, so now I can happily return it since I have one of my very own. I read rave reviews about Gisslen's book and personally, it seems high-level enough to be challenging and truly informative for the advanced baker yet it has a smooth, flowing style that lends itself to home baking as well. Cookbooks are such a weakness of mine. They are the one thing I spend too much money on despite being overall quite a frugal person. Other books that caught my eye today were:

-The Modern Baker, Nick Malgeiri

-The Bread Baker's Apprentice, Peter Reinhart

-The Baker's Companion, King Arthur Flour

Thank goodness for the library because otherwise I'd be broke from buying cookbooks. :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank goodness for the library indeed, I am a little bit obsessed with cookbooks too! I hope you have fun with your new ones :)

Good Timing said...

Hope you are having fun in LA. Enjoy your new books! :)

linds

Teanna said...

Welcome to TWD! I just had to say hello to someone whose name is so similar to mine!