Tuesday, June 9, 2009

TWD: Parisian Apple Tartlet

Here it is - my first Tuesdays with Dorie group post! Also, my first time making puff pastry. I used a rough puff (not classic puff) recipe and was quite pleased with the results. I need a little practice shaping the pastry but tastewise, the buttery, flaky texture and flavor was amazing. I know that you can buy frozen puff pastry but it's so much more satisfying to know that you made it yourself.

I was not impressed at all by the plain and boring appearance of this tart. However, the simplicity of flavors and the freshness of the apple make this a stellar dessert even if only in taste and not looks. Pardon the ugly photos! Although I must point out, even Dorie's professional photographers didn't make this look all that great in her book pictures.

Here's what I did with the pastry leftovers. Too much work went into the making of the pastry for me to throw out any little bit. I actually enjoyed eating these Palmiers more than the apple tart.

For the Palmiers:
I rolled the puff pastry out to a 1/8" thick rectangle, sprinkled with sugar, rolled up both sides to form the palmier shaped log. Next, I sliced the log into 1/4 inch slices, sprinkled with granulated sugar and baked at 400 degrees until golden brown (15-20 mins).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Silly! The palmiers look great in the picture!