Sunday, March 14, 2010

Blueberry Peach Yogurt Muffins





Almost every recipe that contains yogurt warns you NOT to use fat free yogurt. Well, this time I rebelled and I used *gasp* fat free yogurt in these muffins and they turned out great!

I've noticed that muffins with some kind of topping always look more elegant and professional. I usually try and top my muffins with either a smattering of rolled oats, nuts or streusel.

These muffins were delightfully light, fluffy and so so moist (probably from the addition of orange juice in the batter). Best of all, they rose sky high and kept their wonderfully domed shape even after they had cooled. I was quite impressed by their appearance and was definitely proud to bring these in to work.



Blueberry Peach Yogurt Muffins
Makes 12 | Adapted from Canadian Living, Apr. 2004

2 1/4 cup flour, divided
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 tbsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
2 eggs
1 cup yogurt, peach/vanilla/plain (I used fat free)
1/4 cup orange juice
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 cup blueberries
1/2 cup diced peaches (I used canned)
1/2 cup chopped walnuts, divided
1 tbsp sugar for topping

In large bowl, stir 2 cups flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and nutmeg. In separate bowl, whisk together eggs, yogurt, juice and oil; pour over dry ingredients. Toss blueberries and peaches in remaining 1/4 cup flour (to prevent the color from bleeding). Add this fruit-flour mixture and 1/4 cup walnuts to the batter and stir just until dry ingredients are moistened. Do not overmix.

Spoon into greased or lined muffin cups, filling to top. They will be quite full but that's OK! Topping: combine 1/4 cup walnuts with 1 tbsp sugar. Sprinkle topping over the muffins, pressing walnuts in slightly so they stick.

Bake in centre of 375 degrees F until golden and tops are firm to the touch, about 25 minutes. Cool in pan on rack for 5 minutes then transfer to rack to cool completely.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Besides being a baking protégé, Tianne is the nicest most caring person you will ever meet. Hi Tianne, hope you had a good weekend. Love Mike.

Daydreams of Baking said...

Mmm. These look good. Another recipe to add to the "To Do" list. :)

Jencrafted said...

I'm craving for these muffins now.......I especially love those with crunchy toppings - streusel is my fav!

Paula said...

YES! I agree about the fat-free yogurt. I substitute it all the time and it seems to work fine. The muffins are very nicely photographed.

Anonymous said...

These look awesome! I've used fat free yogurt lots of times and haven't had problems with it.

Great idea to put oats on top of muffins to make them look nicer. I'll be trying that one!

creampuff said...

Got this one too, Tia! These look so good!