Monday, November 14, 2011

Apple Cranberry Muffins



I haven't been posting much lately because my camera was stolen from my car last week. It is not so much the camera that I am sad about losing but rather the memory card with all my halloween photos and a whole bunch of baking photos. As my boyfriend said, "If you are going to steal a camera, at least leave the memory card!" So true... *sigh*... all those lost memories.

At least I had this photo downloaded to my computer before the camera got stolen. This is a great, easy recipe that features the delicious flavors of fall. Recipe is a "back of the box" recipe from Robinhood Flour. It has 2 of my favorite fall ingredients: apples and cranberries. Both bring just the right amount of tartness to these light and delightful muffins. I made them without the crumble topping and they were great. I can only imagine how much better the muffin tops would have been WITH the topping.



Apple Cranberry Muffins
makes 12 | adapted from Robinhood Flour

Topping
1/4 cup brown sugar, packed
1/4 cup almonds, chopped
3 tbsp rolled oats
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 tbsp butter, melted

Muffin
2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
1 1/2 cups brown sugar, packed
1 tsp baking soda
1 egg
1 cup plain yogurt or sour cream
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 cups peeled apples, diced
1/4 cup cranberries - fresh or dried

1. Combine all topping ingredients. Mix well. (Optional. I omitted the topping to save some fat and calories. They were great even without the topping!)

2. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line or grease muffin tins.

3. Combine flour, brown sugar and baking soda in large bowl. Combine egg, yogurt and oil in small bowl. Add to dry ingredients stirring just until moistened. Stir in apples and cranberries. Fill muffin cups with batter. Sprinkle with topping.

4. Bake for approx 25 minutes, or until tops are firm to touch.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tia, I'm so sorry about your camera and the memory card with all the memories on it. I would be pretty upset if that happened to me, too. :( I hope you can replace it no-problem?

on the other hand, your muffins sound delicious! I love chunks of fruit in muffins :)

Cakelaw said...

Sorry to hear about your camera - that's a serious bummer. Your muffins look perfect for brekky.

Cindy said...

I'm ready for the yummy tart taste of cranberries. These look yummy, I'll try them with the crumble topping for sure. Sorry about your camera and your memory card. So sad.