Saturday, May 1, 2010

Chicken Bacon Ranch Pizza





This pizza is one of the best things I've ever eaten and as most pizzas are, it's incredibly simple. Ranch dressing is an amazing accompaniment to the smoky bacon. Just a heads up: this pizza doesn't have any tomato sauce on it, just in case you thought you read the recipe wrong.

While there is no such thing as "bad" pizza in my world, I have yet to jump on the thin-crust bandwagon that seems to be taking over these days. The crust is one of the best parts of the pizza. A nice crust that can stand up to a lot of toppings is my preference. I like the simplicity and ease of the Canadian Living dough recipe from May 2007, but everyone has their go-to dough recipe, so use your favorite.



It is incredibly sinful and over the top, but just before serving, drizzle with Japanese mayo for a delightful tang and creaminess. Try it once and you'll fall in love. Japanese mayonnaise is made with apple cider vinegar or rice vinegar and a small amount of MSG, which gives it a different flavor from American mayonnaise made from distilled vinegar. In Japan many fried dishes are served with mayonnaise for dipping and it's also common to put it on pizza there. By the way, I didn't know that prior to my own experimentation. It just sounded good in my head, lol. Kewpie (Q.P.) is the most popular brand (clear plastic squeeze bottle with red lid, Kewpie doll logo).





Chicken Bacon Ranch Pizza
14" Pizza | Dough from Canadian Living, May 2007

Dough for 1 pizza - homemade or storebought

1 cup cooked chicken (chopped) - I used cooked ground chicken this time
1/4 cup ranch dressing
1/2 cup tomatoes, seeded and diced
1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
1/2 cup chopped bacon
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
1 small onion, thinly sliced (I like red onions)

1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese

1. Heat oven to 425 degrees F. Roll pizza dough out to a 12-14" round. Bake crust (no toppings) for 8-10 minutes. Prepare toppings during this time.

2. Combine the chicken, ranch dressing, tomatoes, pepper and bacon in a mixing bowl. Evenly spread mixture over warm pizza crust. Top with mozzarella then scatter onions on top. It will look like a lot of onion but the onions mellow out and turn sweet and fragrant in the oven. Cut back on the onion if you like though.

3. Place topped pizza back into oven for another 12-15 minutes until nicely browned and cheese is melted. Remove pizza and lightly sprinkle with parmesan (and Japanese mayo!)

11 comments:

Rachel said...

um YUM. a restaurant near my college used to serve a salad on a pizza crust, topped with ranch dressing, and i have loved the idea of ranch pizza ever sine. this looks amazing!

Sinful Southern Sweets said...

This looks soo good. My oldest daughter is an avid ranch and pizza lover. I think this would make her day!

Joudie's Mood Food said...

Yumm! I love the sound of this pizza. I am also one who does not understand teh thin crust pizza. This kind of base just makes it so much better and very substantial. Love the recipe. Will definitely have to try it.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the heads up on Kewpie Mayonnaise. I make a similar pizza (love ranch dressing on pizza) and this would be a great addition to it. I could eat a piece right now - for breakfast, lol!

Joanne said...

I am SOOO not a thin crust person either. It may or may not have something to do with my carb addiction...

I will definitely be trying out this dough and these toppings! How delicious.

Autumn @ Good Eats Girl said...

This pizza looks AWESOME!! I love chicken on a pizza and the fact that it is combined with ranch makes it even better!

Anonymous said...

Wow, that's one seriously good looking pizza, lovely dough base.

Wandering Coyote said...

Oh, man...I have bookmarked this page because this looks so wickedly awesome! And a change from the usual tomato-based pizzas. Yum!!

creampuff said...

Yes! Finally someone that likes a "breadier" pizza crust. Woohoo! Looks delicious!

Carla and Michael said...

I so love this pizza that I have already saved in my Fav's. Really over the BBQ Chicken pizzas that everyone is serving and making these days. What a lovely change. Thanks.

mr. pineapple man said...

wow that looks amazing!!! i love the mayo!