Friday, July 2, 2010

Cheesy Popcorn Cornbread



Every now and again my son drags out my air popcorn popper and asks if we can make some. Every time I say "yes" and every time I vow never to do it again. It never gets all eaten before it gets boring and goes stale which then leaves me feeling guilty for throwing it out. Plus, the microwaved stuff leaves a lingering smell of fake butter in your kitchen.

To the rescue, here's Jolly Time! This site has inventive, tasty ways to use leftover popcorn. From salty to sweet, easy to fanciful. I have a feeling I will be popping lots more corn now so I can try these recipes. Next I would especially like to try the Popcorn Cookies, Rocky Road PB Popcorn Bars and the Nutty Popcorn Fudge.

Cheesy Popcorn Cornbread
8" square | Jolly Time Popcorn Company

4 cups popped popcorn
1 cup yellow corn meal
2 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 egg
1 cup milk
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 cup shredded jack cheese

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F and grease an 8-inch square baking pan.
Process the popcorn in a blender or food processor until finely ground. Pour ground popcorn into a large bowl and stir in corn meal, sugar, baking powder and salt until blended.

2. Beat egg, milk and vegetable oil together in a small bowl and stir into popcorn mixture just until blended. Scatter cheese over batter and stir just until evenly distributed. Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for 25 minutes or until lightly browned at edges and tester comes out clean. Cut into squares.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Cool, I bet it was very tasty

Anonymous said...

What an ingenious way to use up popcorn, I love it! Rocky Road PB Bars sound delicious, make those next! :o)

Natalie said...

popcorn never goes stale in my house-i love the stuff! but next time I might have to leave some extra to try this. so interesting!