Monday, July 26, 2010

DB: Swiss Swirl Ice Cream Cake







The July 2010 Daring Bakers’ challenge was hosted by Sunita of Sunita’s world – life and food. Sunita challenged everyone to make an ice-cream filled Swiss roll that’s then used to make a bombe with hot fudge. Her recipe is based on an ice cream cake recipe from Taste of Home.



For a PDF of this month's challenge including the recipe, click here.





*My Changes*
I have a very small freezer and do not have the luxury of having a deep freezer, so I have to constantly calculate and plan ahead to allocate freezer space. For this reason, I only made a fraction of the recipe. My finished product was assembled in a 1.5 quart bowl! I think there was no more than 2 cups of ice cream in my cake. With this small amount of ice cream I didn't bother doing chocolate and vanilla. I did all vanilla with a layer of chocolate syrup in the middle. It was just right for 4 servings and no leftovers.

I made and baked the cake on a swiss roll pan just like how you make normal swiss rolls. When it is baked, I divided the whole sheet into thirds then filled and rolled as usual, thus making mini swiss rolls. I loved how easy the sponge cake was to roll up. I have never made a swiss roll before and it always seemed quite daunting. Now, I'm all ready to experiment with different fillings and sizes. I'm now on the lookout for a not too sweet filling that will hold well at room temperature so I can save on fridge/freezer space :)

10 comments:

shelley c. said...

Yum - vanilla is my favorite ice cream, so yours sounds like it would have been perfect! ;) Awesome job working around the freezer space constraints. And I love the picture with the construction truck in it - so does my 4 year old. Great job with the challenge!!

Unknown said...

Great job, I feel yah on space!

Ruth H. said...

I love how you made the recipe work for you! I, too, am a vanilla fan, so your cersion sounds perfect to me!

Judy said...

Nice cake! Usually I make smaller amounts, but not this time. I have a huge ice cream cake in the freezer, so I will be looking for willing victims.

Sherry G said...

Nice truck in the one picture. Is it yours?;)
Way to go with this one, looks incredible!

Mrs. Fine said...

Freezer size required or not, I think you were wise to only make a smaller portion...Mr. Fine and I have a TON of cake to eat...and those amounts of whipping cream sure don't make it guilt free! ;) Great ideas to modify...I'll keep them in mind next month should our recipe be soooo delicious!

Unknown said...

This looks soooo yummy! A temptation to my diet!!

I'm also into the food blog world, and it would be great if you can take a look at my site and leave me any comment/suggestion.

Take care and keep posting!
http://youarecookingblog.com

Lilli said...

Wow that looks great! Love your blog by the way...

Lisa said...

I almost wish I had no choice but to make my bombe smaller because there's so much, it seems to multiply every time I cut off a slice lol

That said, your swiss bombe is beautifully executed and lovely to look at! :)

Julie M. said...

Your bombe turned out beautiful and it sounds like it was delicious. Congrats on a successful challenge!