Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Overnight Belgian Waffles



This tried and true recipe, originally from Marion Cunningham, has David Lebovitz's stamp of approval here. They are easier than pancakes and you can prep the night before to wake up to worry-free waffles that are crispy and golden outside, and moist and soft inside.

Belgian waffles use a yeast-leavened batter which makes them lighter, thicker, and crispier. The waffle irons also make bigger, deeper pockets. American waffles are made from a batter leavened with baking powder and are usually served topped with butter and syrups. They are generally denser and thinner than the Belgian waffle.

I freeze leftover waffles. Then on weekday mornings I nuke them for 20-30 seconds, pop them in the toaster and serve em up. They're almost as good as fresh and definitly better than Eggo.

Raised Overnight Waffles
Fannie Farmer Cookbook

1/2 cup warm water
1 package dried yeast
2 cups warm milk
1/2 cup melted butter
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon sugar
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 large eggs
1/4 teaspoon baking soda

Use a large mixing bowl. The batter will rise to double its original volume. Put the water in the mixing bowl and sprinkle in the yeast. Let stand to dissolve for 5 minutes. Add the milk, butter, salt, sugar, and flour to the yeast mixture and beat until smooth and blended (I do this by hand). Cover tightly and let stand overnight in the fridge.

Take it out 1 hour before you plan to use it. Just before cooking the waffles, beat in the eggs and add the baking soda and stir until well mixed. The batter will be thin. Pour into a very hot waffle iron (amount of batter will vary based on your iron). Bake until golden and crisp. This batter will keep for a few days in the refrigerator.

11 comments:

cocoa and coconut said...

I wish I had a waffle maker! This batter sounds great

kitchen flavours said...

I'm seeing some of the most wonderful waffles lately, and I have not even got a replacement waffle maker yet! Drooling....!!

Danielle said...

I really wish I had a waffle iron now! These look so delicious. I love waffles. This looks a lot better than the premade frozen kind.

Natalie said...

Last time I made yeasted waffles they didn't turn out well at all. I'll have to try this recipe next time; yours look perfect!!

Allison said...

I'm definitely bookmarking this recipe. A batter that can keep in the fridge for a few days? Frozen waffles that actually defrost well? Sign me up!

I've started a new food blogging group for people who love printed cookbooks. I'd love it if you joined us. www.cookbookloversunite.blogspot.com.

Thank you for the recipe. Really enjoying reading your blog.

Anonymous said...

Tia, you're making me wish I hadn't given my waffle maker to my daughter. These look so good, I've never tried Belgian waffles before. Thank you for linking up to Cookbook Sundays!

Lisa said...

Yum, I love Belgian waffles. I like how this can be made the night before and all ready to cook the next morning.

Megan said...

Making yeasted waffles is on my to-do list (at least I think it is - or maybe it's on the list in my head).

Anyway, I'll be trying these soon - I love my waffle iron!

Unknown said...

This is my favorite all-time waffle recipe and I'm always excited to see other people trying it. I've really never had better!

Couscous & Consciousness said...

OMG - these look wonderful - now I so need a waffle iron :-)
Sue

Anonymous said...

Just tried this, and it made pretty much the best waffles ever. Thanks!