Friday, October 22, 2010

Raspberry Lemon Buttermilk Scones



This recipe comes from Tyler's Ultimate, via theFood Network. They are flaky and beautifully flecked with lemon zest which plays well with the juicy, tart-sweet raspberries on your palate. I used frozen raspberries with great results. The buttermilk adds a second layer of flavor and tenderness. I find that you can almost never go wrong using buttermilk. :)

As I am typing this, I just realized that it feels funny to be writing a post about lemons and raspberries when when everyone else is writing about pumpkins and apples, but that's the beauty of frozen fruit. You get to enjoy it all year long!



Raspberry Lemon Buttermilk Scones
Makes 8 | adapted from Tyler Florence

2 cups all-purpose flour
3 tbsps sugar
1 tbsp lemon zest (from 1 lemon)
1 tbsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp salt
3/4 stick cold unsalted butter, cubed
1 1/2 cups fresh or frozen raspberries
3/4 cup buttermilk

Lemon Icing:
2 tbsp lemon juice
Powdered Sugar as needed to achieve desired consistency

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. In a food processor bowl add flour, sugar, zest, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add cold butter cubes and pulse until you have the texture of coarse bread crumbs. Transfer to a large mixing bowl, then add 3/4 cup of buttermilk and stir to combine. As it comes together add berries and fold dough to incorporate berries but not break them up too much.

2. Drop spoonfuls of dough onto a parchment lined sheet pan. Bake until golden brown, and nice and puffy, about 17 to 20 minutes. Remove from the oven and transfer to a wire rack.

3. Make Icing: Add powdered sugar to the lemon juice, a little at a time, to achieve the desired consistency. If it gets too thick then add a little milk or water to thin it out. You can make the icing thinner for drizzling or thicker for spreading, whichever you like.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh they came out great, I bet the flavor is super

Danielle said...

These look delicious! And I agree, using frozen fruit is so much better. I have a huge bag of it in my freezer that I use for salads. It never goes bad!

Anonymous said...

I always have frozen fruit in my freezer. I love it for smoothies and muffins. And these scones! They look fabulous Tia - delicious!

Natasha @ Saved by the Egg Timer said...

Yummy these look so good.

Katie@cozydelicious said...

I agree! I'm loving my stash of frozen berries right now. And these scones look just perfect. So glad I found your blog!

Missy said...

Hey I sent the Scrape book prize! ENJOY IT!

peace
Missy
http://throughanindielens.blogspot.com/

Unknown said...

Oh, those look amazing. I've never had bad luck with a TF recipe, so I bet they were great.

scrambledhenfruit said...

These look scrumptious! I'd love one of these for my breakfast tomorrow morning. :)