Monday, October 24, 2011

Parmesan Pesto Rolls



You know the huge $7.99 jar of pesto they sell at Costco, the one by the fresh pasta, right beside the produce freezer fridge, well I always buy that jar and end up throwing out half of it because it goes bad before I can use it all up. Well, these rolls are an answer to that problem or to any leftover pesto conundrum. On a side note, does anyone else put on their winter coat before stepping into that produce fridge? I mentally prepare myself, listing the things I need to run (literally, run) and grab from there because it is so cold.



These soft, light, faintly sweet rolls are the perfect vehicle for all that lovely savory pesto filling. It is just a little something different - a little twist on a standard dinner roll. They are so tasty on their own and make a great lunchbox alternative to pizza pretzels.



You could also serve these instead of garlic bread with your next pasta meal.

Parmesan Pesto Rolls
12 rolls | adapted from savorysweetlife.com

1/2 cup warm water (110 degrees F)
1/2 cup warm milk
1 egg (room temperature), slightly beaten
1/2 cup butter, melted
2 tablespoons white sugar
1 teaspoon salt
3 1/2 – 4 1/2 cups bread flour (more if needed)
2 1/4 tsp instant dry yeast (1 sachet)
1/2 cup pesto
1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese

1. Place water, milk, egg, melted butter, sugar, and salt in a mixing bowl. Add 3 1/2 cups of flour on top of all the liquid mixture sprinkling yeast on top. Using the dough hook, knead until dough is smooth and elastic adding additional flour as needed just so the dough pulls away from the edges. The less flour you use the better for softer rolls. Remember, you can always knead in extra flour later if needed after the first rise.

2. Place dough in a greased bowl and cover with a wet towel. Allow the dough to rise until doubled in size, approximately 1 hour in a warm area.

3. Turn dough onto lightly floured surface and roll into a 10 x 14 inch rectangle. Spread surface evenly with pesto and sprinkle shredded Parmesan cheese on top. Roll dough into a log, pinching the seam to seal. Cut into 12 equal slices and place them in a greased muffin tin, cut side up. Cover with a damp towel and allow to rise for 30 minutes.

4. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from muffin cups and serve warm.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I buy pesto at Costco and usually fill up an ice cube tray with pesto and freeze it. Then pop out the cubes and put it in a zip lock back in the freezer. You can use it whenever and it tastes the same. I take out 1-3 depending on what I need it for.

Anonymous said...

WOW, what an awesome idea! I totally know what you mean about the big Costco jar. These rolls are the perfect remedy, because I can never resist buying that jar!

I used to make grilled sandwiches with the pesto, too!

Unknown said...

These look beyond fab!

Tia said...

Thanks everyone!
Jennifurla I still read u but cannot comment on your blog. Blogger says I don't have access and I don't have an open I.
D. :( just wanted u to know

Simply Life said...

oh my! these look incredible!

eatme_delicious said...

Oh yummmmmmm I really need to make these!! I love savoury bread things. Such a great use of that pesto too. I think I've only bought it once because it's such a giant jar. And yea I know what you mean about the walk in coolers being so cold at Costco. I just avoid going in them haha. Or I look from outside, see what I want and run for it then get out.