Friday, August 27, 2010

DB: Petit Fours





The August 2010 Daring Bakers’ challenge was hosted by Elissa of 17 and Baking. For the first time, The Daring Bakers partnered with Sugar High Fridays for a co-event and Elissa was the gracious hostess of both. Using the theme of beurre noisette, or browned butter, Elissa chose to challenge Daring Bakers to make a pound cake to be used in either a Baked Alaska or in Ice Cream Petit Fours. The sources for Elissa’s challenge were Gourmet magazine and David Lebovitz’s “The Perfect Scoop”.



I didn't do the ice-cream filling because I am not a fan of cake and ice cream together. Last month's challenge was also a cake/ice cream combo so I thought I'd skip that part this time around. Sorry Elissa!

Instead of chocolate, I covered these cute little cakes with a poured fondant. 1/2 white, 1/2 pink then a drizzle of the opposing color on top of each of them. It was a fun, slightly messy and utterly delicious project.

I also used a Brown Sugar Pound Cake recipe from Martha Stewart instead of the Brown Butter Pound Cake from Gourmet. This cake had a nice, tight crumb, sliced wonderfully even into the thinnest of layers and held its shape and sharp corners when it was cut.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tia, I just love petit fours!! My Mom always sends me a box around Christmas and I think I eat almost all of them myself. I've never even attempted to make them before though. These look gorgeous and I bet they taste even better. You did a great job.

Danielle said...

Oh these are soo cute! I've always wanted to make these but they seem really hard.

Unknown said...

Love the color and love the oured fondant, great job

Unknown said...

They look so cute and beautiful together.

Yummita said...

It looks divine. I love the pink color. It's a great idea! Perfect :)

Cheers
Yummita

Elissa said...

I know a lot of people got sick of ice cream and cake twice - sorry! I didn't know what July would be when I picked August!

That said, your petit fours are super cute and they sound like they tasted wonderful too :)

sadaf said...

I would say Awesome...

cocoa and coconut said...

Adorable! I love the colours (particularly the tone of pink) that you achieved. Petits fours are très chic, non? :)

scrambledhenfruit said...

So cute, pink and tiny! I love petit fours- they're a perfect bite sized treat.

Aparna Balasubramanian said...

Perfect little pink and white squares of cake and ice-cream.

Sally @ Pink.Vanilla.Love said...

Such beautiful colours! I too made the petit fours, but with espresso flavoured ice cream. I struggled with the recipe as I wasn't in my own kitchen with my own equipment, but I got a few successful and yummy ones anyway!
I'm a huge Martha fan, so I think i might try her recipe next time.
xx

chef_d said...

Wow, your petit fours are so pretty! I love pink and white!! I should have made this instead of the baked alaska. Great job!

Anonymous said...

So cute and pretty colors.

Julie said...

Those are just too cute :) I could eat...several!