Sunday, August 1, 2010

Keebler's Pecan Sandies





These are one of my favorite cookies on the grocery store shelves. Or at least they used to be before late 2008 when the recipe changed and they became tasteless, greasy and filled with trans-fats.

Side note: these do not even make an appearance on Canadian shelves. I wish I lived in the States. Down south you guys have all the best foods and the best selection. I sometimes make day trips to Bellingham with the primary reason being grocery shopping. These Keebler copycats are buttery, nutty and crumbly, just like the originals used to be.

I have successfully used 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar and 1/2 cup white sugar instead of all white sugar and they turned out nicely with a bit more depth of flavor. This recipe makes a lot of cookies but I guarantee that they will not last long. The extra dough can also be frozen for future use. Scoop the dough onto parchment paper lined cookie sheets then freeze them then store in freezer bags. When you are ready to bake, remove them from the freezer and thaw on cookie sheets while the oven preheats.

Tip: Beat the sugars and butter and oil and eggs vigorously (electric mixer is useful here) so it is almost like cake batter. The dough is very soft but chilling it in the fridge makes it easier to work with. They're very sensitive to being left in any longer or shorter than stated...so watch them carefully.



Keebler's Pecan Sandies
7 dozen cookies

1 cup butter, softened
1 cup vegetable oil
1 cup white sugar
1 cup powdered sugar, sifted
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cream of tartar
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups chopped pecans
sugar for rolling

1. In a large bowl, cream together the margarine, vegetable oil, 1 cup wh ite sugar and powdered sugar until smooth. Beat in the eggs one at a time, then stir in the vanilla.

2. Combine the flour, baking soda, cream of tartar and salt; stir into the creamed mixture. Mix in the pecans. Chill for at least 20 minutes in the fridge.

3. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Roll dough into 1 inch balls and roll each ball in sugar. Place 2" apart on cookie sheet.

3. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until the edges are golden. Do not over bake! Remove from cookie sheets to cool on wire racks.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh yum, I've eaten these many times in the States!!! Thank you for posting a recipe for us home cooks!

Unknown said...

These look great and I would much rather eat them then the store brand

Katrina said...

I love pecan sandies! Fun to have a good recipe.

copycat recipe said...

It looks really good, I will definitely give this a go. It actually looks better than the real thing, lol! I also enjoy making copycat recipes. Kitchen is like my favorite place in the house, lol! I love cooking, so it's really more of a hobby (or at least it feels like it) for me than a chore.:)

Natalie said...

These look great! I love making something from scratch that you can buy in the store---I haven't had one of these in years, but now I'll have to try your version!

Tawny said...

oh man! i'm for sure going to have to make these some time! My dad loves these things

Anonymous said...

I LOVE PECAN SANDIES...CANT WAIT TO TRY THEM..THANKS FOR TAKING THE TIME OUT TO SEND US THE RECIPE...WE'LL EAT SOME FOR YA... :D Have a Blessed Day!! Angela

Anonymous said...

They're alright. Have a lighter, buttery texture than store-bought pecan sandies, more crumbly, but the taste is there. Also good with heath toffee bits inside. 3/5