Tuesday, August 17, 2010

TWD: Oatmeal Breakfast Bread



Oh. My. Goodness. I am in LOVE with this bread.

Despite its modest and understated name, this bread is AMAZINGLY yummy. It was soft, moist, full or flavor and smelled wonderful while baking. Cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves were a perfect medley of flavors to complement the classic pairing of apple and oatmeal.

I was pleasantly surprised at how pretty the sliced loaf looked. The diced, dried apricots had plumped up and stood out like glittery orange jewels. I used plain yogurt instead of buttermilk. For the topping I omitted the brown sugar and just sprinkled and lightly pressed in a handful of toasted walnuts on top.



The recipe was selected by Natalie of Oven Love for this week's Tuesdays with Dorie pick. Find the recipe at her blog or in Baking: From My Home to Yours.

26 comments:

Judy said...

Everyone's version of this bread is just slightly different, but they all sound delicious. I love the golden bits in your bread, another version to try.

Flourchild said...

I loved this bread too! It really is yummy with a cup of coffee.
Your bread looks good and I like the idea of using yogurt too!

Paula said...

Yes. You are right. Those apricots stand out like sparkly jewels. Brilliant!

Pamela said...

What pretty slices you have, my dear!! Beautiful job! And I'm impressed that you skipped the sugar on top. :o)

Sabrina said...

Those slices are so pretty! Nice work!

Natalie said...

Looks beautiful, girl! Great substitution with the yogurt. Thanks for baking with me! :)

Kimberly Johnson said...

Beautiful job on the bread!

Mary said...

oh, that's what mine was supposed to look like! Perfect! Glad you loved it.
:)

Anonymous said...

Bookmarked! I can't wait to make this. I bet it smells heavenly while baking. Yum!

Shandy said...

Your loaf of oatmeal bread looks adorable! Just perfect and yummy. I looked at the recipe heading too and thought maybe not. Sure glad I changed my mind!

Jeannette said...

wow your bread looks phenom!!

Unknown said...

your bread looks gorgeous!

Susan said...

Great looking bread! I love the pieces of apricot throughout.

Jennifer said...

Your bread looks amazing! Loved this one!

Hindy said...

That first photo of the top of the cake looks so elegant with its neat line of nuts. Delicious!

Unknown said...

Gorgeous! Now I wish I'd added some little apricot jewels to mine.

Katrina said...

Your loaf looks perfect!

Jules Someone said...

This looks just lovely! Glad you enjoyed it!

margot said...

Your bread looks beautiful. Topping it with just nuts was a great idea, there was plenty of sugar in the bread already.

Anonymous said...

Your loaf looks lovely! This really was delicious!

spike. said...

looks great! I really loved this bread too

TeaLady said...

THIS was a great bread. I like the idea of the apricots. So pretty in the bread.

Nickki said...

Your loaf looks perfect! I wanted to try it with apricots but I had none in the storecupboard. One to try next time :-)

cocoa and coconut said...

Looks SO moist, I definitely wouldn't be able to resist this bread.

Leslie said...

I love how this looks with the walnuts on top! I'm glad you enjoyed this one.

Anna said...

I somehow missed this recipe, but it sounds great! I'm already thinking about what add-ins I'd use.