Saturday, August 7, 2010

Sara Lee's Iced Banana Cake



This recipe evokes childhood memories of eating frozen sheet cake straight out of its aluminum pan. Unlike today's tall, nutty coffee shop banana loaves, this one is shorter, sweeter and reminiscent of simpler days. It is a true American classic. Plus, how can you say no to a cake crowned with rich and creamy banana frosting for a double-dose of banana-y goodness?



I must also add that I love those thin aluminum pans that Sara Lee pound cakes come baked in. Maybe it's the pack-rat in me or maybe it's the "green" mentality, but either way I find it really challenging to throw anything out. So, my cupboards are full of containers, pans and boxes 'just in case' I might need them for something in the future. Being an avid baker, I often bake more than I (and my family) can consume, so disposable pie plates and loaf pans come in handy. Plus it makes me feel warm and fuzzy to know I'm saving the environment - one baking tray at a time.

Note: I pureed the banana very well in the food processor (rather than leaving it semi-chunky like I usually do for banana bread). I think it helped achieve a processed, fine texture like Sara Lee's.

Sara Lee's Iced Banana Cake
9 x 13" pan | Bite Me Cookbook

2 1/2 cups flour
2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup butter
1 cup sugar
3/4 cup brown sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
2/3 cup buttermilk
4 ripe bananas, mashed
2 tsp lemon juice

Icing:
1/4 cup butter
1 mashed banana
1/2 tsp lemon juice
1/2 tsp vanilla
3 1/2 cups icing sugar

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9x13" pan. Combine flour, baking soda and salt.

2. Cream butter, sugar, brown sugar together. Add eggs one at a time then vanilla. Alternate adding flour and buttermilk until combined. Stir in mashed bananas and lemon juice. Pour into greased pan.

3. Bake for 35-40 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Cool in pan.

4. Icing: Beat butter, bananas and lemon juice until combined. Add icing sugar until smooth consistency is reached. Spread onto fully cooled cake.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Another copycat recipe! You did that for me, right? :o) This sounds much more fun than regular banana bread or muffins because of the frosting. Yum!

Julia @Mélanger said...

I never really grew up eating pre-packed desserts, but great that you can bake something fresh instead of buying something pre-made. delicious!

Lot-O-Choc said...

Mmm this looks pretty good :) banana cake is always yummy!

Julie said...

Looks delicious. I always love those SaraLee cakes, and I love that you recreated it :)

Juliana said...

Yummie, we love banana cake :-)and your sure looks good, indeed nice texture.

Hannah said...

I've never had Sara Lee-anything, but I think that your version sounds and looks way better than the original!

fotografiafoodie said...

That sounds even better than the original! Yum. I love cakes, though I'm prone to eat it all!

Chats the Comfy Cook said...

I have not had the Sara Lee cake but this one looks really good. Package them with all those extra aluminum pans and start selling.

cocoa and coconut said...

Hi there, lovely blog you've got! I love banana cake...and I love Sara Lee Cake so much that I used to eat it frozen oh my!

steph- whisk/spoon said...

i love a simple sheet cake!

Julia*Mieko said...

I can totally relate. I have this old box in my pantry that someone left here, Duncan Hines or something. Been there for years.

Meantime, I just happened to buy bananas JUST to let them turn brown enough for some baking!

Anonymous said...

I have been daydreaming of this cake for YEARS. My grandmother used to get this, so it's a comfort food memory. I am making it tonight! Huzzah!