Tuesday, August 24, 2010

TWD: Crunchy and Custardy Peach Tart





The recipe this week was selected by Rachel of Sweet Tarte for this week's Tuesdays with Dorie. Find the recipe at her blog or in Dorie's book.



There couldn't have been a more perfect pick than this one to showcase summer fruits. I actually used nectarines because I wasn't in the mood to peel the peaches and nectarine skin is OK in baking unlike peach skin which should be removed. I was thankful to have freestone nectarines which held their shape when I de-pitted them and fanned them out in the tart shell. The clingstones always come out messily. They get hidden in double-crust pies.

Peaches always remind me of the summer of Grade 4 when I read James And The Giant Peach by Roald Dahl. I had a theme that summer - peach juice (from a sugary drink mix), fuzzy peach gummy candy and fresh sliced peaches. The book captured my young imagination and I couldn't tear myself from it and I read it cover to cover in one afternoon. The story of this tart is similar: It's so delicious that if left to my own devices I'd probably eat all in one afternoon.

16 comments:

cocoa and coconut said...

Beautiful and nostalgic post. I love tart, and words like "crunchy" and "custardy" make me drool..

Sabrina said...

That is gorgeous! I love how your streusel turned out.

Valerie Gamine said...

I ♥ nectarines! They are slightly more assertive than peaches so I imagine that they were amazing in this sweet tart.

scrambledhenfruit said...

Yum...peaches and cream! That's a great combination for a tart, and yours is gorgeous! (I love all of Roald Dahl's books- he's one of my favorites.)

Danielle said...

this looks really good! is the crust hard to make?

chocolatechic said...

I didn't want to have to peel and slice either, so I used tinned peaches.

Welcome to our crazy blessed life said...

What a fun story and a beautiful tart!

Becky @ Project Domestication said...

Yours looks nice. I would love to try these with nectarines.

Unknown said...

so pretty and yummy-looking

Mary said...

It looks wonderful! I must get James and the Giant Peach, as I have a nephew named James. I see some baking in our future!

Unknown said...

That is a gorgeous tart - the streusel looks heavenly. I too loved James and the Giant Peach - I recently read it to my 5 year old. I think she was a bit young to get it, but she liked the idea of a giant rolling peach.

Leslie said...

What a lovely post, Tia! Your tart is gorgeous!

Paula said...

Love your top picture. I also liked James and the Giant Peach. Read it out loud to my boys many years ago.

natalia said...

Ciao Tia, this tart is heavenly !!

The Mortensens said...

Your tart looks gorgeous!

RamblingTart said...

What a marvelous tart!!! I love peaches so much but haven't baked with them yet this summer. Will have to remedy that very soon. :-)