Tuesday, June 30, 2009

TWD: Perfect Party Cake

Yesterday was my Earned Day Off (EDO). At work we have this program where you can opt to work an extra 25 mins/day and then you get one paid day off per month. I love EDO's because I drop my son at daycare then go shopping or bake or just do what *I* want. Yesterday I drove down to Bellingham, WA by myself for a quickie shopping spree. I raised quite a few suspicions from the border guards, probably because I was travelling alone and because it was a workday. Americans have the best selection of food - and cheap food at that! Whenever I go to the states I always come back armed with loads of dairy - yogurt, cheese, eggs, cream cheese, ice cream - for baking.

The timing of this Tuesday's with Dorie recipe for "Perfect Party Cake" couldn't have been better. One of my favorite co-workers will be leaving our office and today was her last day so this cake served as a farewell cake.

I halved the recipe and made a modified-tiered cake because I didn't want a huge amount of cake. The top layer is a raspberry swirl "little fella" cheesecake from the famous Junior's Cheesecakes in New York. The recipe is from the Junior's Cheesecake Cookbook. The recipe for the little fella's is here. I strongly recommend making them. You won't be sorry :) The book is great if you are a cheesecake lover. I've never tried the originals because I've never been to New York but the recipes in the book are sure yummy!

Dorie wasn't exaggerating when she said this cake is very easy to cut into layers and frost. The texture is gorgeous and I liked how festive it looked all dressed up (even though I did this at midnight only half-awake after I put my son to bed). Unfortunately, I didn't care much for the taste. I don't know if I would make it again, however, if I did I think I might try a whipped cream cheese frosting instead.

1 comment:

AnickH said...

Im a single mother too and your same age (well 25, so maybe a yr older). Its fun to find someone in my similar situation. anyway, i love your blog and you made dorries cake so pretty. good job