Friday, March 26, 2010

Chewy Chocolate Twists



These yummy little twists feature a ribbon of chocolate filling studded with melty chocolate chips. They're just the right shape and size for easy snacking. The white sugar (instead of brown sugar) gives the filling a nice 'chew' to it as it caramelizes in the oven. Another yummy recipe from Marcy Goldman of Better Baking. This woman is quickly becoming my hero with her awesome recipes. She calls this one "Chewy Chocolate Sticks" and also uses raisins in the recipe.

This is my first time using this shaping method and I will definetely be using it again. It elevated a regular cinnamon bun-style bread into an elegant pastry. I often find that when you pair chocolate with bread the chocolate taste gets a little lost but not with these twists! It came though loud and clear - a great companion to the buttery, soft bread.



Chewy Chocolate Twists
adapted from Marcy Goldman | Makes 24

1 recipe (using approx 4 cups flour) bread dough or sweet dough

1/2 cup butter, softened
1 cup white sugar
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1/2 tsp cinnamon
3/4 cup chocolate chips

1. Combine all the filling ingredients except for the butter. After the first rise, roll out dough into a large rectangle about 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick. Spread softened butter evenly over dough then sprinkle evenly with filling. Roll up as though you were making cinnamon buns.

2. Instead of leaving it in the classic bun shape, slice the dough into buns then take each piece, flatten it slightly and give it a few twists before placing it on the pan. Space them a few inches apart as they will rise and expand. As you twist them, they will want to unroll a bit, but be persistant! Cover loosely with a towel and let rise 30 minutes (or up to 45 for lighter, puffier twists. I personally like them denser and chewier).

3. Bake at 375 degrees F for 20-30 minutes until golden brown. Cool fully then store airtight.

7 comments:

Mimi said...

Yum! I want to make these. But.. between these and the cheese bread I just made, I'll be doing some serious jogging this week!

Joanne said...

These are so cute! I would love to pop one (or four) in my mouth. The filling sounds delicious.

Mary said...

These are beautiful! Cinnabon briefly had a chocolate bun that I was addicted to, and it looks like I may be able to recreate them with this recipe. Thanks!

Holly said...

Wow I've been absent for a few days and everybodys got so much yummy looking food!! lol Those Honey pecan bars look to die for!! And the duo cookies-yum-o!!

Pam said...

These look fantastic! I bet the chocolate did come through loud and clear! Yum!

MaryMoh said...

Looks pretty and delicious. Would be great with a cup of coffee.

Anonymous said...

Those look so good! The shape definitely looks elegant too.