Tuesday, June 15, 2010

TWD: Cinnamon Raisin Swirl Bread



Cinnamon and sugar. Those words are like poetry to my ears. I can't think of a better marriage of flavors so I was really looking forward to this week's TWD selected by Susan of Food.Baby.





The sweet dough is based on Dorie Greenspan's recipe but the filling is inspired by Martha Stewart. I chose Martha's filling because she says to brush with egg before sprinkling with sugar in order to keep the filling from falling out. It worked better than previously when I brushed with butter, but I think next time I will mix the raisins directly into the dough and do a plain cinnamon sugar swirl. Martha's filling calls for 3/4 cup sugar whereas Dorie's uses only 2 tablespoons. Sugar is good! If you're gonna eat cinnamon bread you might as well indulge all the way, right? I included the recipe because of the filling changes I made.

Cinnamon Raisin Swirl Bread
adapted from Dorie and Martha | Makes 1 - 9x5" Loaf

Dough:
1 packet active dry yeast
1/4 cup sugar, plus a pinch more
1 1/4 cups warm milk (110-120 degrees F)
1/4 cup butter, room temperature
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 egg
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
Pinch of nutmeg
3 3/4 to 4 cups flour

Filling:
1 egg, beaten
3/4 cup sugar
1 tbsp cinnamon
1 tbsp water
1 cup moist raisins

Directions:
1.Put the yeast in a small bowl, add a pinch of sugar and 1/4 cup of the warm milk, stir it together and let it rest for 3 minutes. It should foam.
2. In a stand mixer with a paddle attachment, combine the rest of the 1 cup milk, the butter and the 1/4 cup sugar. Mix on low speed until combined, then add the dry ingredients. Mix on low for another minute. Add the yeast mixture and mix one minute more.
3. With the mixer off, add 2 3/4 cups flour and begin mixing again on low until the flour is just worked in. Switch to the dough hook and with the mixer on speed setting 2 beat the dough for a few minutes. The dough should begin coming together off the sides of the bowl. If it doesn't, then add up to 1/4 cup flour one tablespoon at a time until it does. Knead for 3 minutes more until smooth, shiny and very soft.
4. In a large buttered bowl, turn out the dough and cover tightly with cling wrap. In a warm place, allow the dough to double in size, about 1 1/2 hours. Once fully risen, turn the dough out onto a large piece of cling wrap and wrap tightly before either refrigerating overnight or freezing for 30 minutes.
5. Filling: Combine the sugar and cinnamon. Stir in th1 1 tbsp water and mix well. Remove dough from the refrigerator/freezer and turn onto a lightly floured surface. Roll out into a 12x18" rectangle. Brush 1/2 the beaten egg onto dough then sprinkle with the cinnamon/sugar mixture and spread the raisins in an even layer, gently pressing them into the dough. Reserve leftover egg wash for step 6. Roll the dough snugly, beginning with a short end. Pinch the seam shut. Place the dough seam-side down in a greased loaf pan and tuck the ends under.
6. Cover and allow to rise for another 45 minutes or so. Once the dough is risen, brush the top with remaining egg wash, place on a baking sheet and put on the center rack in the oven. Bake for 20 minutes, then tent with foil and continue to bake for about another 25 minutes. Allow to cool in the pan for 5 minutes, then transfer to a cooling rack.

30 comments:

Cathy said...

There is something the smell of cinnamon raisin bread that makes me just want to curl on the couch under a blanket with a book and eat the whole loaf ;)

Wandering Coyote said...

Looks delish!

petite nyonya said...

This is a lovely cinnamon raisin bread.

Chats the Comfy Cook said...

Yours looks lovely and I know the fragrance that comes with it.

Mine is still baking and it it way past 2 AM. I just went to put a tent on it and saw my plumped up raisins on the counter. Next time.

I can't wait to see what it turns out to be, hopefully a cinnamon swirl loaf.

Heather Davis said...

You are right sugar is good! I doubled mine. Love the top of yours. Did you put egg on it too? It looks lovely and shiny!

Leslie said...

Tia, this sounds like the perfect loaf! I love how shiny your crust is, it almost looks like a brioche. I've bookmarked this so I can make it after I get back home.

Nickki said...

Your bread looks so good. I love that shiny crust! I loved this bread, I found it hard not to eat the whole loaf in one go!

Lady Baker said...

So true about the cinnamon sugar combination--they will forever live happily ever after!! Thanks for the tips for the filling!

Flourchild said...

Your bread looks so shiny on top, I love it! Your pictures are the best and I want a slice of bread right now!

chocolatechic said...

I love the flavor of this dough.

Your bread looks lovely.

Helen said...

This looks delicious! I love the changes you've made too.

Kimberly Johnson said...

Your bread looks wonderful!

Beth said...

Beautiful! I love the suggested changes. More sugar is ALWAYS better :-)

Jessica of My Baking Heart said...

I love your pics, Tia - the bread is gorgeous! :) And yes, sugar is good!!

Peggy said...

Yours is so beautiful and shiny on top!! Great job.

The Mortensens said...

I like the changes you made. I agree with you--sugar is good, and a bit more in the middle would have been great.

Lynne Daley said...

How clever to brush the dough with the egg wash. I sometimes have the problem of all the filling running out. Great tip! Your bread looks wonderful and the egg wash on top created a lovely brown crust.

Unknown said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog, and now I am glad to have found yours. I look forward to all your sweets, I have a small child too - her name is Indigo.

GratefulPrayerThankfulHeart said...

Tia, you and I are on the same page about liking extra cinnamon and sugar in the center of this bread :)

I think I'll try your Martha version next time.

Kindly, ldh

Valerie Gamine said...

Bring on the sugar! :D Your bread looks delicious.

Susan said...

Your bread looks great! I will add more cinnamon and sugar to my bread the next time I make it.

natalia said...

Ciao Tia ! I love your shiny and wonderful loaf !

TeaLady said...

Looks perfect. The swirl was fun to make, but I think I need to add more cinnamon/sugar next time.

Carol Peterman/TableFare said...

What a gorgeous shine on the crust. I forgot to put any sort of wash on mine.

Spike said...

your pictures are great! glad you enjoyed it

Erin said...

I followed Dorie's recipe, but wished for more cinnamon sugar swirl. Yours looks great!

Jeannette said...

your bread looks really great!

Piggy said...

It's a great idea to brush the bread with egg first, will give it a try next time. Btw, your bread looks really yummy!

Anonymous said...

I love that picture of the raisins on top of the bread. I didn't even think about more sugar. yum.

Monica said...

I really love the changes you made to this bread... I'm going to make those notes on the side of the book for the next time...

Like you I was like only 2 tablespoon of sugar???

wish I would have thought to add more. - Next time!