Tuesday, August 18, 2009

TWD: Applesauce Spice Bars







Karen of Something Sweet by Karen picked Applesauce Spice Bars for today's Tuesdays with Dorie recipe. If you'd like to make these wonderfully spicy and moist bars visit her website for the recipe. The best part was definitely the caramelly topping/glaze. My son ate these for breakfast this morning. My justification for giving him such a sugar-filled breakfast was telling myself it's really not that bad since there's applesauce and apples in the bar. The texture of mine turned out more cake-like than bar-like but were yummy all the same.

This recipe couldn't have come at a better time. My best friend is going to visit family in Croatia for 3 weeks and as a result she had to get rid of a lot of food from her house. I happily inherited a huge bag of apples, a box of phyllo pastry and a bunch of eggs (among other things). As a result, I have been on the lookout for apple recipes. Now as for the phyllo pastry... I'm totally not sure what I will use it for. I've never used phyllo before so I'm a little intimidated. If you have any easy recipes (sweet or savory, either one), I'd love to give them a shot.

12 comments:

Cathy said...

These look great! Phyllo purses stuffed with feta, cooked spinach, garlic and pine nuts - bake in the oven :)

TeaLady said...

Lucky you for GOOD food hand-me-downs.

The bars look really good.

karen said...

i love your photos, your bars look great. i agree, i loved the glaze! :)

Shandy said...

Oh my goodness! Your photos are beautiful and the apple bars turned out perfect. What a yummy breakfast =D.
When using phyllo dough, just remember to keep the sheets damp because they dry out fast. Excellent for fast and fun appetizers and light desserts with fruit.

Leslie said...

Good grief, these look amazing! I think anything with fruit = healthy so I'm totally on board with you giving these to your son for breakfast.

For phyllo, I recommend the phyllo triangles out of the Silver Palate Cookbook. They are amazing and freeze extremely well. There are good instructions in the book for working with phyllo that I used to learn how. You can do it!

Love your blog!

petite nyonya said...

This cake bar looks amazing. I saw it on Pastry Heaven too, another Daring Baker. The glazing on top looks yummy!

Queen B. said...

that looks so good !

My Experiments with Food said...

Wow!
And you have a lovely blog.

Heidi said...

What great looking bars! The apples remind me of the awesome applesauce recipe i need to post :)

angelia McGowan said...

those look delicious, and i just stumbled across your blog, what a cute name, adorable!

donna said...

These look delihtful, love the idea of them eing iced. They must smell delicious while baking!

mike said...

They look fantastic! I loved these - as did others... so glad you were able to make them. Love the photos - nicely done!!!