Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Raincoast Crisps

After all those cakes last week I decided to bake something earthy, wholesome and simple. These copycat Raincoast Crisps by Lesley Stowe are super popular and super expensive too! $6 for a very small box. I love how easy and versatile this recipe is. You can swap out the seeds, nuts, dried fruit for whatever you like. Next time I think I'll experiment with orange zest and craisins and pistachios. Mmmm....

It's nice to bake something healthy for a change, especially since I did a wedding shower cake and a birthday cake the past few days. I was much in need of something simple and down to earth to bake. This fit the bill!






Rosemary Craisin Pecan Crisps
8 dozen crisps

2 cups flour
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
2 cups buttermilk
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup honey
1 cup craisins
1/2 cup chopped pecans
1/2 cup sunflower seeds
1/4 cup sesame seeds
1/4 cup flax seed, ground
1 tbsp poppy seeds
1 tbsp chopped fresh rosemary

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Stir together the flour, baking soda and salt. Add the buttermilk, brown sugar and honey and mix with a rubber spatula, just to combine. Add the raisins, pecans, pumpkin seeds, sesame seeds, flax seed and rosemary. Stir till just blended.
3. Pour the batter into two greased 8x4" loaf pans. Bake for about 45 minutes, until golden and springy to the touch. Cool on a wire rack then refrigerate to chill thoroughly. It is easier to get thin slices when the bread is colder. You may also opt to freeze one loaf to slice and bake later.
4. Slice the loaves as thin as you can and place the slices in a single layer on an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake at 300 degrees F for 15 mins. Flip them over and bake for another 10 or until crisp and golden. (As crisp as you like them).

4 comments:

Liz said...

These look and sound delicious! I could use a little healthy baking around my casa too...

petite nyonya said...

These crisps are like biscotti...perfect to go with coffee.

La Cuisine d'Helene said...

I made them and did a post on my blog. They are delicious. Looks so good.

Sophie said...

I bet these would taste great dipped in tea! Sound like a tasty snack too. Thanks for sharing, this is the first I've heard of these :).