Thursday, February 23, 2012
Fat Witch Bakery is in the lovely Chelsea Market in New York City. I have previously mentioned how wonderful that trip was with my then boyfriend, now fiance. It was on that vacation that we knew we were meant to be. Through the overwhelming humidity and frustration of navigating the subway system, we grew closer and learned to laugh at ourselves and enjoy the time together even when we got lost for 3 hours trying to get back to our accommodation.
When we finally found our way to Chelsea Market, my face lit up. I'd heard so much about it before. To be there in person was unreal! So many delicious treats, I didn't know where to turn my attention. These brownies feature Chocolate, Hazelnuts and Cream Cheese. They are not overly rich nor sweet. I like the simplicity of this amazing combination. If you like Nutella and cheesecake you will definitely enjoy these brownies.
Fat Witch Bakery Hazelnut Cream Cheese Brownies
Makes 9" square | Fat Witch Bakery Cookbook
3 ounces cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
2 teaspoons lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup finely chopped hazelnuts
1/2 cup bittersweet chocolate chips
5 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 cup coarsely chopped hazelnuts
1. Filling: In a medium bowl, beat cream cheese and sugar until smooth. Add egg, lemon juice, and vanilla extract, beating until well-blended. Stir in hazelnuts. Cover bowl and refrigerate.
2. Grease and flour a 9-inch square baking pan. Melt chocolate and butter in a small saucepan over low heat, stirring frequently. Remove from heat to cool.
3. Beat sugar, eggs, and vanilla until smooth. Add cooled chocolate mixture. Beat until well-combined. Gradually add flour and salt, mixing just until combined. Stir in hazelnuts. Spread half of the brownie batter into prepared pan, just covering the bottom. Spread chilled filling over brownie batter. Refrigerate for 10 minutes.
4. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spread remaining brownie batter on top of the filling. (This is far easier said than done.) Swirl the layers with a butter knife.
5. Bake 30-33 minutes, or until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean or with dry crumbs. Cool in pan on wire rack for 1 hour. Brownies should be covered and stored in the refrigerator.