Sunday, February 26, 2012

Sour Cream Maple Walnut Muffins



Maybe it's because I'm Canadian... but when I'm looking for a comforting treat to bake, I often reach for the bottle of maple syrup in the pantry. It adds a lovely depth to any baked good, even if the maple flavor is not front and centre. Maple brings out the warmth in any cake or muffin. However, in these muffins, Maple is the star.



Sour Cream Maple-Walnut Muffins
Makes 12 small | adapted from food.com

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
5 tablespoons butter, softened
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1 large egg
6 tablespoons sour cream
6 tablespoons maple syrup
3/4 cup chopped walnuts

2 tablespoons finely chopped walnuts
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
2 tsp sugar

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Place paper liners in 12 muffin cups.

2. In a medium bowl, stir together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Using an electric mixer, cream butter, 1/4 cup sugar, and brown sugar on medium-high speed for 3 minutes, until light and fluffy. Add egg and beat well.

3. In a small bowl, whisk together sour cream and maple syrup. On low speed, add 1/2 dry ingredients to butter-sugar mixture. Pour in 1/3 sour cream mixture.

4. Add remaining dry ingredients in 2 batches, alternating with sour cream mixture then gently fold in first amount of chopped walnuts. Beat until just blended.

5. In a small bowl, stir together walnuts, cinnamon and sugar. Pour batter into muffin cups. Sprinkle top of each muffin with walnut mixture.

6. Bake until muffins are golden brown, about 20 minutes.

9 comments:

Mom Foodie said...

Nice flavor combo. Stumbled & pinned :D

yummychunklet said...

I like using sour cream in baked goods. I can pretend they're healthier for me!

Unknown said...

I love maple too...probably from years of living in New England. Although I think most of the syrup I buy is Canadian! These muffins look incredible.

property dealer in Delhi said...

awesome post i like it

eatme_delicious said...

I loooove maple syrup especially the one from Costco. I find when I bake with it thought the flavour isn't too strong. :( I love the sound of these muffins though so will have to try them out.

Cindy said...

Maple is one of my new favorite flavors. And I do love muffins, such a quick reward.
These look yummy.

Lottie @ Lottiesworldofcakes said...

These sound delicious!

spike said...

Those look so good. Love maple

Bollywood Songs said...

Totally agree with your suggestion... Very nice post and good information here... Thanks for posting that....