Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Cake Crumb Cookies





Over the weekend I found a great way to use up leftover cake from leveling cake layers or cake that is starting to dry up. Make them into cookies!!! I have successfully also made this recipe using day-old muffins. Just add more sugar depending on how sweet your cake/muffin crumbs are to start. These cookies are soft, spicy and open to variation. Add more milk if your dough seems dry.

The best part about these cookies is that you can't even tell they are "recycled". It's kinda like the sweet version of using up leftovers in a casserole. The original recipe is from ICES - the International Cake Exploration Société.

Cake Crumb Cookies
Makes 48

2 eggs
1 cup milk
5-7 cups cake crumbs
2/3 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup margarine, melted
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg or allspice or oats
1/2 cup walnuts, chopped

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Crush cake into crumbs in a food processor.
2. Beat eggs and milk then add cake crumbs and let stand 15 minutes.
3. Blend in sugar, margarine and vanilla.
4. In a separate bowl sift together flour, soda, baking powder, salt, and spices and add to sugar mixture. Fold in remaining ingredients.
5. Drop by the tablespoonful on greased cookie sheets. Flatten to about 1/3" thick. These cookies do not spread so you can space them close to each other.
6. Bake 10-15 minutes until edges and bottoms are golden. They won't brown much overall. Store airtight.

7 comments:

AmyRuth said...

Thank you!!! I totally learned something new today. That is so cool.
AmyRuth

Jessica604 said...

Upcycled cake crumbs! I love it! Since its only me in the house who (predominantly) eats cake and other goodies, this would be a good recipe for me.

I also like to do the "bread pudding" or french toast thing with stale cake or bread.

Thanks for the recipe!

Anonymous said...

Good fill someone in on and this post helped me alot in my college assignement. Gratefulness you as your information.

Linda said...

I have never heard of using cake crumbs before. Sounds like a great recipe!

Cristin said...

Hi! Thanks for checking out my blog! I just got the recipe for the February challenge and I'm hopeful I can get to it, I'm very busy this month as I'm traveling to Vancouver to work during the Olympics for my company. Fingers crossed!

Cristin

Jencrafted said...

What a great idea! Thanks for sharing. By the way, your milk choc bundt cake looks delicious!

kelliscakes said...

wow that is amazing!!! i have some left over cake I'd love tot ry this out with!