Friday, February 12, 2010

Japanese Cotton-Soft Cheesecake



This cheesecake really lives up to it's name. It is extremely fluffy and soft and completely unlike any of the dense, creamy North American cheesecaks we are used to. I've noticed that most Asian desserts are far less sweet than Western desserts.

Japanese Cotton-Soft Cheesecake
Makes 1 - 8" cake | adapted from Diana's Desserts

140g/5 oz. sugar
6 eggs, separated
1/4 tsp. cream of tartar
50g/2 oz. butter
250g/8 oz. cream cheese
100 ml/3 oz. milk
2 tbsp. lemon juice
60g/2 oz. cake flour
20g/1 oz. cornstarch
1/4 tsp. salt

1. Melt cream cheese, butter and milk over a double boiler. Cool. Fold in the flour, cornstarch, egg yolks, lemon juice and mix well.

2. Whip egg whites with cream of tartar until foamy. Add in the sugar and whip until soft peaks form. Gently fold the egg white mixture into the cream cheese mixture.

3. Pour into a lightly greased 8-9" round pan and bake at 325 degrees F in a water bath for 70 minutes or until set and golden brown.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

omg i love japanese cheesecake but never find it here! looks great!

Anonymous said...

This sounds so nice. Sometimes I crave the taste of cheesecake but I don't want a heavy desert. This is a great choice!

Anonymous said...

This sounds so nice. Sometimes I crave the taste of cheesecake but I don't want a heavy desert. This is a great choice!

Rizka said...

Ohh i love japanese cheesecake! Thx for sharing the recipe :D

Flourchild said...

This look so good!

Jencrafted said...

I used to buy Japanese Cheesecake by the dozen.....a small piece cost ~USD1.10 if I recall correctly. Now I don't have to buy anymore! Thanks for reminding me how good these are and for sharing the recipe. BTW, can we omit the cornstarch and use all cake flour instead? I also happen to have some Asian superfine cake flour so will probably try that. Thanks again!

Tia said...

Jencrafted - I bet you could use all superfine flour or all cake flour - I wish I had some of that superfine stuff!!! I've never baked with it, do you use it often?

Tara said...

I am totally going to make this soon!!!

Anonymous said...

Keep posting stuff like this i really like it

Jencrafted said...

Tia, I've only used it once. It gives the cake a much finer texture. Man, I'm adding more and more "to-bake" to my mile-long list! Thanks for the inspiration!

Anonymous said...

nice post. thanks.

Anonymous said...

nice post. thanks.

Rebecca said...

Fist of all i have to thank you for putting up this recipe...i've been searching for sometime now for soft melt in you mouth cakes, i've never had a japanese cheesecake before but i got this right on first trial which is very rare for me and my boyfriends loves it...so do i and i'm making it for his birthday in 2wks. So thank you very much

Tia said...

^Rebecca - I hope it turns our well for you. Goos luck!