Thursday, October 14, 2010

FFWD: Vietnamese Chicken Noodle Soup



This soup reminded me a lot of the "Pho Ga" at the Vietnamese restaurant in our neighborhood. Our family loves Pho. We love it so much that we usually just order the noodles and soup, no meat. In the non-meat version, tthey usually add broccoli florets and carrots to the broth and cook until crisp tender. I'm not sure if that's authentic Vietnamese, but I love how the veggies soak up all the yummy soup flavors and yet retain their crispness and brightness. I meant to add some to this soup but alas, I forgot at the last minute. I did however intentionally leave out the spicy stuff because I'm a wimp. This tasted excellent with a few squirts of Hoisin sauce and some extra soy sauce.

The recipe can be found in Dorie Greenspan's new book: Around My French Table: More Than 300 Recipes from My Home to Yours. Once you have this book, be sure to join in the cookalong at French Fridays with Dorie.

Also please check out my new group - The Copycat Club - and send me links to your copycat posts for a monthly round-up. The first round-up was on October 7th HERE. We're going to make restaurant faves in our own kitchens and share our adventures and successes. Contact me at starrysugar@hotmail.com or leave me a comment on the Copycat Club page to grab the badge and be added to the blogroll.

29 comments:

scrambledhenfruit said...

I really did love this soup. :) Yours is beautiful- it looks so fresh!

Judy said...

Beautiful soup! I love all your additions.

cocoa and coconut said...

I like the forest of green and healthy vegetables! Thanks for sharing.

Good Bite In said...

It's nice making it at home rather than heading out for it isn't it!

Ann (napangel) said...

Beautiful photo! Now I'm hungry for that soup again! :)

Elaine said...

It looks so beautiful with the extra basil and cilantro leaves. I also love the transparency of your noodles.

Trevor Sis Boom said...

Beautiful! I would be visiting that restaurant a lot if it was anything like the bowl I made!
Trevor Sis Boom.

Mary said...

Yum. I love the idea of putting broccoli in it.

Jessica of My Baking Heart said...

Gorgeous, Tia! :) Looks yummy!

Hindy said...

Your soup looks delicious! I wished I'd added more veggies too.

Frolicking Night Owl said...

Thanks for sharing the non-meat ideas. I think I'll have to retry this recipe. Someone else recommended Hoisin sauce as well.

Unknown said...

What a fun group, this looks really great & good texturely.

Renee said...

Oh that looks delicious!

Unknown said...

Looks beautiful, Tia! It has a great lightness and transparency to it.

-K@saffronandhoney

Mary said...

That's a great looking bowl of soup! Funny--I like pho without the meat too. I may need to add onions to my next bowl...
:)

Flourchild said...

You go girl! It looks outstanding!!

Anonymous said...

Your soup looks wonderful! The no-meat version of pho with broccoli sounds really good.

Beth said...

Hi Tia. Looks amazing. The Candy below looks great too!!!

Karen said...

Beautiful bowl of soup! All these soup recipes I'm seeing are making me crave pho!

luciacara said...

Such a great recipe - your picture is wonderful!

Candy said...

Your soup looks fantastic! I think it would be great with the addition of some veggies.

Susan @ SGCC said...

Your soup looks beautiful! So fresh!

Cakelaw said...

Your soup looks wonderful Tia - whether it is authentic Vietnamese or not, this soup was marvellous and a surpirse hit in my house.

♥Sugar♥Plum♥Fairy♥ said...

LOL, me left out the spicy stuff too , coz we somehow dont have a palate for spicy soups here!
Love ur greens and fresh flavs showing!!

Anonymous said...

Great photo - love all the additions you made to it.

Anonymous said...

Tia, I HAVE to try this soup! It look soooooooooo good. Everyone who's made it seems to love it. I'm making a copycat recipe tomorrow for you! :o) Not sure exactly when I'll post it but I'll get it in by the deadline. Hope you're having a great weekend my friend!

TeaLady said...

Soup klooks amazing. I am going to make this as soon as I find all the ingredients.
Love Pho. Made it once. Glad to know this is similar.

Leslie said...

This looks amazing! I'm sorry I had to miss this one.

Natasha @ Saved by the Egg Timer said...

Yummm...if you love Pho Bo then stay tuned. I will be posting a homemade step by step soon :) But you will have to add in your own brocolli, hahah.