Tuesday, October 5, 2010

TWD: Apple Butter Bundt Cake



This week I did something a little different. It's still along the same TWD theme, but the apple bundt cake is not from our bakealong book. However, it is still a delicious apple Bundt cake recipe by our beloved Dorie, just from a different book. For the actual TWD recipe this week, Lynne of Honey Muffin chose Double Apple Bundt Cake on pages 184 and 185.



I was at the library a few days ago with my son when I saw this older book by Dorie Greenspan called Sweet Times: Simple Desserts for Every Occasion, published 1991. Being a devoted Dorie fan, I just had to borrow it. While Zach played with Thomas the Train I thumbed through the book, making mental bookmarks. It's a small book with a lot of classic recipes such as Bran Muffins and Cream Scones. It also has some recipes which are reprinted in her newer and more well known book, Baking: From My Home to Yours. It was an interesting book to skim but not to buy, especially if you already own "Baking".

Dorie says this cake is even better after it has had a chance to rest for a day and for the flavors to develop. This moist, tender cake had a lovely, complex mix of flavors. I used my easy, home made Honey Spiced Apple Butter for this cake, but I'm sure applesauce with some extra cinnamon would also work. If you like apple butter, also check out these Apple Butter Cookies from Anna Olson of the Food Network Canada- they are wonderfully spiced, moist and remind me of muffin tops!

Apple Butter Bundt Cake
1 - 10" Bundt | Sweet Times by Dorie Greenspan

1/2 cup + 2 tbsp butter, softened
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 eggs
1 cup apple butter
2 cups flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp salt
2 apples, finely chopped or grated
1 cup walnuts

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour a 12 cup Bundt pan.
2. Cream together butter and sugar with an electric mixer. Add eggs and continue to beat. Add apple butter and mix until combined.
3. In a separate bowl, combine all dry ingredients. Add dry ingredients to the butter/sugar mixture and mix until just combined. Fold in apples and walnuts. Transfer batter to prepared Bundt pan.
4. Bake for 55-60 minutes or until cake tester comes out clean. The flavors of this cake are even better the day afterwards.

27 comments:

Diana said...

I love Dorie Greenspan & this recipe looks perfect for a cool fall day

Maillardville Manor said...

mmmm. . . . yummy! I think i'll make this on the weekend what could be better then a yummy bundt cake
mmmm . . . . .

kitchen flavours said...

This looks great! Another delicious one from Dorie! Have you received my email regarding TCC? Couldn't wait until 7th!

Danielle said...

Looks like a great cake! I love anything with apple.

Unknown said...

How cool that you found that older book! The recipes look really similar. Your cake looks great, no matter where it came from!

Cindy said...

I love Dories recipes, they all seem to be winners.

The Food Hunter said...

can't wait to try this one.

Anonymous said...

Homemade apple butter...I'm impressed. So glad you joined me this week!

Leslie said...

This looks delicious! I bake out of Paris Sweets from time to time but I've never seen this book. I'll have to see if my library has it...

Chats the Comfy Cook said...

Honey spiced apple butter....that is marvelous. Your cake must have been delicious. It certainly looks perfect.

AmyRuth said...

Adaptations! Aren't they mystical? That's how they do it. Either way, I thought the cake was pretty and delicious.
AmyRuth

Peggy said...

Yours looks lighter and firmer than mine. Must be the difference in the apple butter. My apple butter was very dark and spicey. Love your cake!

Anonymous said...

Look at you, diving into Dorie's apple-cake past! Very cool. And I'm impressed that you made your own apple butter. I got mine from Acme ;)

TeaLady said...

Looks tasty. And very similar to the Double apple.

Magic of Spice said...

Hi there, I popped over from Kitchen Flavours to take a look...This looks amazingly good and lovely photos too :)

Cathy said...

This cake looks great too! It's beautiful - glad you enjoyed it!

Bella Baker said...

how cool - a vintage Dorie book! your cake looks gorgeous!

Jules Someone said...

Mmmm, your cake looks delicious! I have Paris Sweets, similar!

Criollobylisa said...

It's so hard to wait a day! I might try a different icing than suggested...

Hindy said...

This recipe sounds good. Thanks for sharing it.

Shandy said...

I love your apple bundt cake! Your cake looks absolutely perfect and moist in the picture.

I love going to the library and checking out cookbooks. Finding Dorie's orginal cookbook is quite a find.

spike. said...

the apple butter sounds great!

Unknown said...

very curious about that book! this looks wonderful!

Jacque said...

Looks like a winner! It looks good with the chunks of apple.

Pamela said...

How fun that you found that older book! Looks like another winner from Dorie.

Liz said...

Interesting! I've never seen this book. You're like a cookbook Indiana Jones. :) The recipe seems pretty similar to the one in Baking, maybe a few tweaks here and there. Glad you liked it!

Jaime said...

looks very similar to the double apple bundt cake :) wonder if dorie just adapted it?i